Boat Builder - QinetiQ
Haslar Marine Technology Park, Gosport • Closing Date: 16/03/2018
Level 3 Advanced Boat Building Apprenticeship
Starting salary: £10,500 per year
Do you want to be one of the best? Do you want to be one of over 6,000 dedicated people providing technological and scientific expertise?
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
As a Level 3 Advanced Boat Builder Apprentice you are the future of QinetiQ. This four year apprenticeship will entail you learning from the best in the business and enable you to develop your skills to reach your potential. As well as gaining an academic qualification, you will learn on the job within a friendly and encouraging workplace.
Boat Building tasks will typically include:
- Manufacture or repair components to the required specification
- Move components using the appropriate safe methods
- Check components for robustness, fit and tolerances
- Analyse problems with machinery, equipment, tools and material, proposing/implementing solutions where appropriate
- Move, shape and manipulate components to achieve best fit
- Select and use appropriate methods for holding materials and components in place during assembly, and for the connecting, fixing and assembly of materials and components
- Select suitable methods of repair that are effective and maintain original construction
- Select suitable methods for fault finding and analysis
- Make repairs
You must have a minimum of 5 GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent, or predicted, which must include Maths, English Language, Science and preferably ICT.
This role will require you to be able to obtain full security clearance. To gain clearance you will normally have had to have been a resident in the UK for a minimum of 5 years, regardless of nationality.
You must declare any special requirements needed to undertake tests for the interview stages.
- Competitive salary
- 25 day annual leave allowance plus Bank Holidays and the flexibility to buy and sell annual leave
- 1 day paid a year to be used for volunteering activities
- Option to purchase additional benefits
- Access to our Wellbeing Service - a confidential life management and personal support service, which offers you free access to specialist advice in areas such as legal, financial, personal and family matters including bereavement and counselling services.