Health & Social Care
City College run a number of courses in Health, Social Care and Counselling. We offer City & Guilds, EDEXCEL, EDI and distance learning qualifications.
For more information on QCF (Qualification Credit Framework) which replaces the NVQ, then please follow link
Do you work in Care?
City College, Southampton has a range of courses on offer to suit you.
We offer part time Health and Social Care Diploma courses at a variety of levels to link to your working role.
- Level 1 – for those not working in the Care industry and the unemployed to gain essential knowledge to progress to Level 2
- Level 1 – consists of five mandatory units taught in College – this does not require a work placement
- Unit 128 Introduction to the adult social care sector
- Unit 129 Introduction to the values and principles of adult social care
- Unit 130 Awareness of the skills and attitudes needed to work in adult social care
- Unit 131 Awareness of communication in adult social care
- Unit 132 Awareness of the role and responsibilities of the adult social care worker
- Levels 2 for those working directly with service users and a minimum of 6 months care experience
- Level 3 for senior carers with supervisory responsibility
- Leadership and Management Certificate. For managers in health and social care to meet CQC requirements
Levels 2 and 3 follow a common framework with core units that include:
- Introduction to Communication
- Introduction to personal development in health
- social care Introduction to equality and inclusion in health, social care
- Introduction to duty of care in health, social care
- Principles of safeguarding and protection in health and social care
- Role of the Health and Social Care Worker
- Implement person centred approaches in health and social care
- Contribute to health and safety in health and social care
- Handle information in health and social care settings
Then a pathway can be followed according to your area i.e. Early Years, Learning Disabilities, Dementia Care etc.
Do you run a Registered Care Home?
City College can offer an Induction Package for your staff to include relevant topics that new staff will need to know about. These can be tailored to your requirements and could include any of the following:
- Infection Control
- First Aid
- Personal Hygiene
- Equality, Diversity and Rights
- Reporting and Recording
- Moving and Handling
- Dementia Care
- Safe Handling of Medicines
To find out more about studying, and to find out the next available start date, see the listing below, or call us on 023 80 48 48 48.