Building Services Engineering (The Built Environment)
About the course:
The Edexcel BTEC Higher Nationals in Construction and the Built Environment have been developed with career progression and professional body recognition in mind. The following is an indication of relevant professional bodies that recognise the BTEC Higher Nationals in Construction and the Built Environment and their recommended unit structure, as qualifications that contribute towards their requirements and also meet the requirements of the Engineering Council (UK) – Standards for Professional Engineering Competence:
- • Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT)
- • Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
- • Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
- • Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE).
In addition to individual recognition by the main professional bodies, the Edexcel BTEC Higher Nationals in Construction and the Built Environment have also been validated and approved by the Construction Skills Standards and Qualifications Validation Group (SQVG), which represents the construction and built environment sector.
The HNC in Building Services Engineering follows a programme of study that explores the following range of units:
Building Services Engineering pathway: (course code BO2498/002)
- Design Principles and Application
- Applied mathematics in construction
- Health Safety & Welfare
- Management Principles and Application
- Low Pressure Hot water for non-domestic Buildings
- Group Project
- Electricity and Lighting for Building Services Engineering
- Application of Scientific Principles to BSE
The BTEC Higher National Programmes are intended primarily for people who are in, or plan to enter, employment and who have reached the minimum age of 18. Students who enter with at least one of the following qualifications are likely to have the necessary study skills for successful completion of the programme:
- Edexcel Advanced VCE (e.g. in Construction and the Built Environment)
- BTEC Level 3 National Certificate or Diploma in building/BSE related discipline
- At least 1 A Level pass, with appropriate supporting passes at GCSE grades A, B or C in an appropriate science or technology subject
- NVQ 3 Construction Site Supervision
- BTEC National Award and Trade NVQ 3
The BTEC Higher National Diploma in BSE is a theory and practical work-related course. You learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. As well as learning about the employment area you have chosen, you also develop the skills needed to start a career.
Candidates will be expected to arrive to college with pens, pencils, calculator, some drawing instruments (wait to be advised from your tutor) and a folder for notes and their portfolio of work.
Progress is measured throughout the length of the course using assignment based assessment; either controlled or set as coursework; this allows the candidate/teaching team to gauge the learning performance on a continuing basis.
It is possible to progress onto the HND in Construction. You may further your studies by progressing to professional institute examinations (CIOB, RICS, CIBSE) or enrolling on a degree level course.
Candidates may be eligible to apply for funding from Student Finance Direct. Please take the time to read the information outlining what you can apply for - generally Tuition Fees and a Maintenance Grant. Application are made online use attached link: www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk
An interview will be required for this course. Please complete the online application and contact the Information & Advice team on 023 8048 4848 or alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange.